Friday, February 5, 2010

Moving Through Change

Being a freelancer, I'm accustomed to change. Clients come and go. My schedule varies from week to week. One day I'm in an office full of employees at a meeting, the next three weeks I'm flying solo in my office. One day I'm interviewing a doctor at the Mayo Clinic about natural supplements to lower cholesterol, the next day is spent on business like invoices and contracts

The freelance life isn't for everybody. But I am grateful for the flexibility, the spontaneity, and the unknowing-ness of it all. It makes me feel alive, and gives the illusion of freedom. I could be a day away from the biggest job of my life, or a black hole where the phone doesn't ring.

In the midst of this constantly changing schedule, I am thinking about the things that don't change, the things that add a rhythm and consistency to my days and weeks:

1. My morning cup of coffee.
2. The Sunday newspaper— Styles section first, then Week in Review, then Front Page, and Arts.
3. Dinner with my family.
4. A morning stretch and intention.

I'm holding on to these simple things amidst bigger changes; a new house, a new city, a new baby, a new routine, a new job opportunity. It's these things that keep me grounded, and steady.

Enjoy what changes, and what stays the same. For now.

No comments: